Thursday, October 1, 2009

Falling into place...

Since we made the final move up to Forney, I've felt like my heart was swimming in loneliness. I know I have a wonderful, amazing husband and I'm so incredibly thankful for him! And I don't ever want to live in two cities again!! :) But we don't have many friends and those we do have are more acquaintances than deep friendships. We haven't had other couples in our life that can slap us upside our heads when we're doing stupid things and cheer with us when we're something fantastic happens. We've both missed it, but I think my heart has ached a bit more...
Then there was yesterday... One of my dearest friends from college has been living in China for 5 years. Even though she and her husband returned to the States every summer for training and rest, we've never been able to connect and get together. We sent e-mails and talked on the phone once in a blue moon, but we hadn't been face to face in years! They moved back to the States in May and began job hunting somewhere in the state of Texas. Last weekend, they put in an offer on a house only 30 minutes from ours. Yesterday, she came over and we spent the entire afternoon together. There wasn't a moment of awkwardness (well, except for when I couldn't get my own pots out of the cabinet...) and our friendship picked up right where it had left off all those years ago. The time with her was like water in a desert. By the time D.J. and I took her home, my heart was soaring! It was a wonderful, blessed time with a "bosom buddy" and was more of a blessing than even I realize...
Then last night, we went to our first "Community Group" meeting. We were lucky enough to join a group that was just being formed and so it was everyone's first evening. Some have been in small groups before, others haven't. One guy is the manager of Chick-Fil-A and brought us tons of very delicious food!! :) There's a wide variety of ages and marital status. (Dating, engaged, newlyweds, married 3 years, married 12 years, married 20 years, and even a couple who got divorced and then re-married a few months ago!) It was wonderful! Everyone seemed to get along very well and we enjoyed getting to know each other. I'm excited about what God's going to do within that group... I can't wait to be a part of it!
So, in summary... I feel like things are finally falling into place! The house is coming together, we're starting to make friends, we love our church, and are starting to call it our "home". My goal was to lose 5 pounds by the beginning of October, and I've already dropped 10! (I think it's in large part to not drinking sodas anymore!) Even before we were engaged, I kept telling D.J. that I was looking forward to October. I knew that by then we would be settled into a routine and we would be in the process of making friends. This morning we were very excited to celebrate October 1st!! We have made it! We survived the insanity of long distance dating, planning a wedding, moving, and starting a life together. Now we get to live! Happy October everyone!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

awesome! so excited for you guys. Congrats on losing 10 lbs! Giving up soda is hard, well it was for my anyway because i didn't give it up, haha. I seriously have a route 44 on my desk right now! I'll pray that you stay motivated. I'm working on getting off this baby weight so i can fit into cloths and not have to buy a whole new wardribe, bah! I love October. Hope to see you guys soon!! =)

Unknown said...

hey post some pics!!! of anything =)