Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Three Day Weekend

D.J. had yesterday off work. It was wonderful! We love getting to spend extra days together. :- ) Overall, it was a busy and productive weekend for us.

Friday night, we hung out with friends. We played ping pong. D.J. rocks at ping pong. Allison does not. During singles matches, D.J. whipped everyone's tail and made them cry. (Almost.) During couples matches, the other couple always won because Allison is just that bad! (When D.J. and I play ping pong alone, we've come up with some pretty creative rules. Like - if you can get the ball between the slats of the blinds, you get five points. If you clear the ball through the fan blades while the fan is running, you get fifteen! I always win when we play that way.) While we were over at our friend's house, the wife said that her husband spoiled her. I stated that my husband spoiled me as well. I think both husbands took it as a challenge to prove that they could spoil their wife more than the other. I don't know why they feel the need to compete, but I'm not going to complain!

Saturday, D.J. made me breakfast in bed. See? I'm spoiled! He then had to go to work for a few hours, so I decided that I would occupy my time by completely emptying the office. We'd been attempting to clean it out, but were so overwhelmed by the JUNK that we weren't moving very quickly. So I drug it all into the living room so we would have plenty of space to sort through everything. When D.J. got home, he was shocked. Apparently, that was not how he had planned to spend the afternoon. Oh well! Like a trooper, he got to work. We worked until midnight when I told him I was leaving him and moving in with the bed. I curled up and fell asleep in 3.2 seconds! D.J. attempted to wake me up to tell me good night but I just told him I was a shark and tried to bite him. (I have no memory of this. I was sound asleep the whole time!) I then told him his Christmas present wasn't finished and that we needed to sell the Erector Set next.

On Saturday, while we were working hard, I took a break and made one of the most delicious lunches we've had in a while! I defrosted some frozen chicken breast, and cut it into bite size pieces. I dipped each piece in a slightly beaten egg, and coated it with Panko bread crumbs left over from the broccoli we made the other night. We tossed them in a pan with a teeny bit of olive oil and cooked until they were tender and white all the way through. It was like little, mini, healthy chicken nuggets! We stuck them in a tortilla with lettuce and ranch (D.J. added salsa) and ate like we were in heaven! Oh my goodness! I'm so in love with Panko now! I can't wait to find more ways to use it...

After church on Sunday, we decided to take a break from the office in the living room fiasco and focus on the garage. We drug everything out, cleaned, sorted, organized, and put it all back in. It only took a few hours, and it now looks amazing! While we were working, we assembled the small table I blogged about not long ago and stacked it high with the things we wanted to sell on Craigslist or eBay. When we got back inside, exhausted, D.J. checked his e-mail only to discover that someone from Craigslist had seen the table and was coming by to pick it up. We trudged back to the garage, re-arranged everything, and celebrated at the $10 the guy paid us! We were so exhausted that we decided to go buy a pizza with our money. That was some yummy pizza! We eventually finished the office and got everything re-loaded. There are a pile of frames that need to be hung on the walls and curtains that are sitting on the bed, waiting for a loving husband to hang the curtain rod - but the office is done! We now love that room!

Monday morning, we made home-made doughnuts - as in home-made batter and home fried. (Note to self: do NOT stick your finger in the oil once it is hot. Doing so causes pain and blisters.) Monday afternoon consisted of lots and lots of runninmg around. We took cans to be recycled (and earned $4.75) and took books, CDs, and DVDs to Half Price Books (and earned $47.50). We went to Good Will to drop off all the stuff we knew we couldn't sell on-line, went into my first ever Braum's and had some yummy fries, and attempted (yet again) to get D.J.'s college ring fixed. (10 years after he graduated it's still not right!) We went to several antique stores here in Forney to try and price some of the items we found in the office, but didn't have much luck. Basically, no one buys antiques from you if you just walk in with a box and if you have a very rare antique, it's really hard to find another one in this little town in order to decide what price you should ask for if you do find someone who's interested in buying. I think our final decision was to stick it all in a box in the attic and wait 30 years. It'll be worth more then anyway!

It was a wonderful three days and we now have two more areas of our house cleaned and organized! I'm loving it! Now I get to catch up on the dishes, laundry, vacuuming, and dusting I ignored over the weekend... How was your time off?

No comments: