Thursday, August 27, 2015

Pooh Bear

It's a silly thing, really, for a grown woman to be so thankful for a stuffed bear. But you'll never know just how much I love seeing my 17 month old toddle down the hall with you clutched under one arm. I know you get ignored most of the day but the way you move around my house I suspect you get hidden hugs and kisses when I'm not looking. I've stepped on you a few times (okay, more than "a few") and I'm certain I've kicked you out of the way. But that doesn't change my heart. I'm so glad you're there! 

You see, that boy who loves you so, didn't easily attach to a comfort item and it took a long time for him to learn to comfort himself. There were a lot of sleepless days and nights waiting for you to win his heart. And then one day, it happened. I don't know who shared the first secret or if it started with middle of the night joke telling. I just know that one day, out of no where, my sweet boy needed you. Do you know how I can tell? Because on those nights that I sneak into his room just to watch him sleep, you're always near by. I know he's fallen asleep under your watchful eye, hearing the stories that only stuffed animals can tell. 

One day, I'll have to pack you away. I'm sure I'll give you one final hug and thank you for the endless nights of taking care of my boy while we all slept. I'll tenderly tuck you in among cherished baby clothes and a baby blanket or two. One day, I hope our boy will open that box and see your face. I hope his heart will flood with memories of a childhood filled with laughter, his faithful friend always by his side. Maybe he'll even let his little boy love on you for a while. No matter what, know that I cherish you Pooh Bear and I am so glad you're snuggled up close to my boy tonight! 

No comments: