Thursday, April 22, 2010

Hammond Hurricane

The past few weeks have been a hurricane of activities and fun here in the Hammond House. We have about 30 seconds of down time before we gear up for the next event. Here's a summary of life as we know it:
  • A few weeks ago D.J. took his tennis team to the district tennis tournament. Amazingly, he had three teams qualify for the regional competition - a first in the school's history! WOW! I was so proud of him I though I just might burst. (The administration at his school was quite proud of him as well!)
  • With only a few weeks to prepare for regionals, D.J. started extended after school practices with his qualifiers. He came home exhausted every day!
  • On top of preparing for regionals, the final TAKS test of the year is only days away. His 18 remaining students have one more chance to pass or they won't graduate. It's do or die time!
  • I have spent several Saturdays at job fairs with very few positive results. We know of several reasons for the discouraging results: There are a fresh slew of college grads at these fairs and I look younger than all of them - despite being 5 years their senior! The economy is resulting in more and more unemployment. These businessmen are now looking to the field of education as a steady form of employment. Also because of the economy, the government has cut back their funding and therefore school districts aren't able to hire as many people. And while we're on the economy, teachers who are hoping to move to a new district won't quit their current job until they have a new one lined up. Therefore, there's no openings and principals haven't caught wind of any openings they might have in the future. Yeah, I feel super optimistic!
  • The regional tennis tournament was earlier this week. Because it was an overnight trip, D.J. needed a female chaperone. That means I got to tag along and get a free night in a hotel and free meals out! It was wonderful! We had a great time and for a few minutes I actually caught myself enjoying the crazy teenagers. :) Unfortunately, we live in Region II. In the past 20 some odd years there has never been a state tennis champion that didn't come from Region II. This doesn't happen anywhere else in the nation, therefore our region is considered the most competitve one in the country. Therefore, D.J.'s kids didn't do too well... But we had a good time!
  • Now that the tennis season is over, D.J. is focused on getting his kids through the TAKS next week. After that we have the student/faculty tennis tournament and then preparing for the end of the year. Like I said 30 seconds of down time before the next wave of the hurricane hits!
  • On the way home from the tennis tournament, my sore throat felt like someone set it on fire. We called and begged for the last doctor appointment of the day and heard what we already knew - strep throat! So I've spent the last few days parked on the couch. I've enjoyed the chance to rest, but the bags are still packed and the laundry is piled up. However, today I'm feeling my energy return and I think I can swallow again.
  • On Saturday, I'm going to a Beth Moore simulcast with my mother-in-law. I'm really excited about it - I love Beth Moore!
So that's the update from the Hammond's! I'm off to attempt swallowing again... Maybe I'll actually get to eat today! Woo hoo!

No comments: