Friday, July 13, 2012

Our little boogar

Yesterday I spent the majority of the day resting on the couch because, let's face it, that's my life these days. Hubsters was hard at work on adding trim to the new back door he had installed the day before. I was quite proud of the work he was doing and enjoying listening to the sounds of hammering and sawing as he worked away.

A little before 5 I realized I hadn't felt Caleb move very much during the day. The more I thought about it, the more I realized it had been a very long time since this little guy had kicked or squirmed. I mentioned my concerns to DJ who quickly got me a glass of orange juice and planted me on my left side on the couch. An hour later there still wasn't any movement and I was starting to get concerned. We made a bowl of queso (Caleb's favorite food) and I quickly ate the spicy, cheesy goodness. Still no movement. DJ busted out the guitar and played as loud as he could right next to my belly. In a beautiful little moment, I felt one flutter before all was silent once again. When Caleb refused to move anymore we decided we would feel a whole lot better if we spoke to the doctor.

The on call doctor heard my story and immediately told me it was time to head to the hospital. We frantically packed the last elements of our labor bag, DJ showered, we called families, and headed out the door - more than a little stressed.

When we arrived at the hospital they got us checked in quickly and immediately hooked up monitors. Within seconds our room was filled with the glorious sounds of a teeny tiny heart beat. It was, without a doubt, the best thing we'd heard all day. The weight of the world fell off both of our shoulders. The nurse got us hooked up to the rest of the monitors and got us all checked in. Due to the stress of the past few hours my blood pressure had sky rocketed and they weren't going to let me go anywhere until it came down. I was confident that if I could lay on my side for a little while and listen to the sweet heart beating away I'd be fine in no time.

We spent a total of 3 hours hooked up to the monitors and heard Caleb roll around and kick the monitor several times. (This child does NOT like any monitor of any kind!) It was wonderful to know that he was moving even when I couldn't feel him. My blood pressure returned to normal and we watched the monitors as I had several little contractions - none big enough to be considered labor.

At 11:00 last night they finally let us go home. However, the nurse on duty mentioned that my records from the dr showed there was protein in my last urine test. So far this hasn't been a concern because it would mean I had pre-eclampsia and not just high blood pressure. It scared us just a little that we hadn't heard those results from the doctor. So we called our regular doctor first thing this morning to see what was going on and to make sure she knew about our little adventure.

She ordered an ultra sound for first thing Monday morning to make sure Caleb's still growing well and isn't showing any signs of stress. We're excited to get one last peek at our little man before he meets the world. I'm also glad we're going to check to make sure he's growing properly and he's not too squished now that he's getting bigger by the moment. If he looks good on Monday then we'll induce on July 25th. (If, for any reason, he looks like he's having trouble, they'll induce sooner.) That means that in less than 2 weeks I'll have this sweet little boy in my arms and I can come off of bed rest!

DJ is frantically finishing his to do list so that we have time next week to just relax and enjoy our last days with just the two fo us. :- ) I'm resting and making sure there's no reason for this baby to come early because of my blood pressure. And we're all so very thankful that Caleb's okay and that we didn't have to have an emergency delivery last night. Praise the Lord!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

oh girl I was praying when i read your text! you had me all in a tizzy! When B texted a follow-up message my heart rate slowed down. I know you were so relieved to hear his heatbeat. On an upside I'm glad you are getting to know the staff of nurses at the hospital and the environment of the rooms! I had the same nurse by my side while pushing both times!
Glad to hear all is well and I will continue to pray. (and plz let me know updates no matter what the hour!)
See you soon Caleb!